Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Noodles Alfredo with WHAAAA?

Yah it comes in a pouch at any grocery store, like a plain white canvas except you can eat it. Duh.

Over the years I started reading the suggestions on the pouch and added different veggies and maybe some canned chicken. Then I started buying spices and then eventually I ended up with something I wouldn't mind people finding out about.

So...

Typically these start with the following brought to a boil and then you cook for 8 mins, etc.
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp (or whatever glob ends up on my butter knife...)
OK, at this point I do something like this:
  • Ground black pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • Onion flakes
  • Oregano flakes
  • Frozen spinach - about 1/2 cup unless I add meat later, then about 1/4 cup
Then if I want a heavier kinda thing, one of the following:
  • 10oz can of chicken - sometimes it's good to add the broth to the noodles before starting, but if so then I make sure to put it in the measuring cup before measuring the water, so that the total liquid is not much higher so that it's too runny.
  • 5oz can of mushrooms - drain and rinse
  • 5oz can of...boiled oysters? - not kidding. With all the seasonings in there these are not oystery tasting really but more mushroomey, but with different nutrients.
And then, bring to a boil and add the pouch as per instructions.

For some reason I reach for wheat thins when I have this. Either way, it makes a hearty meal for myself and the other half will keep for at least a couple days to reheat. Don't freeze this stuff - if you ever tried to consume thawed noodles you'll know what kind of mush you end up with.
Have fun!

No comments: