Second of all, why the heck boil it? Well I'll tell you the heck why. It's a very salty product, and so one fateful day I decided to try boiling 1/4 (~4oz) of the pink stuff as one would a hot dog, say, 5 mins if fresh out of the can or 10 mins boiled. What I got was something slimy, earthy and, well, wholesome in its own way. The master stroke (thus far) was trying some BBQ sauce on it after it's boiled - which, as I gather, is a concept not unique to my inspiration.
The idea behind this is to make a meal, so in this case we embellish with frozen vegetables and mashed potatoes. Here's the breakdown, as it stands now...
To start from a fresh can, just peel off the lid and slice the middle then the flanks, then take a fork and dig out the first slice. The remaining 3 freeze nicely in any reusable container. OH, and might as well pour out the slimy stuff from the can in the boiling pot, you'll see why later on. Dunk a hunk of SPAM in the pot of water and add garlic powder. If the piece is frozen I boil for 10 mins solid, or 5 mins if right outta the can.
When starting the boil timer it's the cue to heat up the veggies. I just get out something from the freezer and pour out a portion on the plate, add a dab of margarine and nuke for one minute on high. Don't put away the margarine - put a dab in the smaller boiling pot for the mashed potatoes.
I don't make the potatoes till the meat is done, and here's the economy of the whole deal: we use some of the brine from the boiling meat to make instant mashed potatoes, complete with some broth and garlic. The only thing is, I can't tell you what the measure of flakes would be since I use what was once holding an individual serving of applesauce, for a packed lunch. I just fill that up to about 1/4 inch from the top, and mix with:
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brine from boiled SPAM
- Aforementioned dab of margarine
- Dash of oregano and onion flakes - not too much or it will smell like an armpit
Once the meat is on the plate, I cut it in pieces and stir in some BBQ - usually it's Sweet Baby Rays.
Well I'd like to congratulate you for making it this far, and I'd like to shake your hand if this has actually made you hungry :)

No comments:
Post a Comment